Many generations of students have passed through our gates, having had their character and outlook shaped by their shared experiences at Trinity.

On 14 November 1902 at a meeting of the vestry of Holy Trinity Church, Kew, a decision was taken to found a new school. During this meeting the participants selected a name, placed the management in the hands of an independent council of parents and clergy.

A few months later, classes commenced in the Church’s parish hall. On 10 February 1903, Trinity became the second Anglican boys’ school in Melbourne.

Over the 120+ years of its history, the school has grown and changed immensely. Many generations of students have passed through our gates, having had their character and outlook shaped by their shared experiences at Trinity. They have left us, and moved into society as young people who are well prepared to tackle the challenges of life, and fully embrace all its opportunities.

Our 120-year story

Our 120-year story began in the Parish Hall of Holy Trinity Kew in 1903 with just 36 students and a small staff. Now, Trinity stretches across four locations – Kew, Bulleen, Lake Nillahcootie and Licola – with students hailing from over 80 suburbs in and beyond Melbourne.

The artwork on the front cover of a special 120-year edition of The Trinity Grammarian magazine was imagined by James Fox (OTG 2022), who incorporated native flora found in the Cities of Boroondara and Manningham and the Shires of Mansfield and Wellington that match the vegetative zones of Kew, Bulleen, Lake Nillahcootie and Licola. At each of these locations, part of our Trinity story has been defined.


Myrtle Wattle

Acacia myrtifolia

Small, bushy shrub featuring creamy white or pale yellow flowers in winter and spring

Native to Bulleen


Crimson Bottle Brush

Callistemon citrinus

An evergreen shrub with narrow pointed grey/green leaves, featuring bright crimson flowers

Native to Licola


White Box Tree

Eucalyptus albens

Tree grows up to 25 metres with rounded blue-grey leaves featuring a pointed end, paler on one side

Indigenous throughout northern Victoria


Manna Gum

Eucalyptus viminalis

A very tall tree endemic to south-eastern Australia, featuring long, curved pale green adult leaves

Native throughout Victoria

At the Marles Playing Fields in Bulleen, our young sportspeople have recuperated on the sidelines under the wattle, and in Licola, students have trekked past and camped alongside the bottle brush. At our main campus in Kew, our students have played and rested beneath the shade of the eucalypts for decades.

The Trinity community is characterised by its people and the connections between them, and the Jacobsen family is one of many who can speak of the experience of an intergenerational link to the school.

In celebration of our 120-year anniversary, Peter Jacobsen (OTG 1959), his son Mark (OTG 1991) and Mark’s two sons Flynn (Year 11) and Archie (Year 8) gathered to reflect on their connection to the school, and to each other.

Enjoy this special ‘behind the scenes’ video of the front cover together with a celebratory message from the Principal and the Jacobsen family, filmed and edited by Ben Robison (OTG 2020) with assistance from Charlie Limmer (OTG 2021).

Trinity Archives 

The Trinity Archives house a large array of items, collected, stored and preserved over the course of the school’s 121-year history.  

The collection includes items such as:  

  • Books  
  • Diaries  
  • Ephemeral materials  
  • Equipment   
  • Furniture  
  • Journals  
  • Manuscripts  
  • Maps  
  • Newspaper articles 
  • Photographs  
  • Plans  
  • Student work  
  • Uniforms 

The Archives is open to visitors only by appointment. Alternatively, general reference assistance is available via email, mail or phone during the school term. 

Any donation of school memorabilia or artefacts would be greatly appreciated and acknowledged. 

Contact the Archivist
Telephone +61 3 9854 3600
Email archives@trinity.vic.edu.au 

Term Dates

View the 2024 School calendar dates